Monday 7 April 2008

April 7 2008

Snow showers again today and I haven't ridden at all. I'm a real fair weather rider nowadays it seems! Still spring must be on the way somewhere or other and I have many plans for rides and picnics then. Since my last post I've really done nothing but ride into the town and shop. The Agattu is splendid for that and the bikebins really come into their own for shopping.

I've learned that one has to insist upon one's space on the road. Riding close into the kerb in consideration for cars doesn't work as they then clip one so closely that one doesn't have any margin for safety. I'm spacing myself about two or three feet in from the kerb. I have noticed that many cyclists are lax with signaling. A casual wave of a hand for a couple of seconds just in from the shoulder seems often to be thought enough. Of course it isn't. One may feel a prat with one's arm straight out as one moves to the centre of the road to turn right, but that is what is definitely needed.

No comments: