Thursday 24 January 2008

The arrival

My new Agattu didn't arrive until half past three and having expected it at lunchtime I spent the afternoon twiddling my thumbs. Then a huge lorry arrived and a vast cardboard box was unloaded. I spent some time in puzzling how to open this before I realised that it was possible to open just the ends and use a front wheel to wheel the bike out. Having enjoyed my first sight I quickly screwed on the pedals grabbed an Allen key, adjusted the handlebars, and there it was ready to go. Better read the instructions I thought, only to discover they are all in German. Luckily one big one in English with details of the battery and motor operation so I was able to safely take the battery off and put it on to charge. Then into the saddle and off round the block. The 57 cm frame is plenty big enough for me and my first impressions are of a big stable machine that feels wonderfully safe and is a pleasure to ride. Rather heavier than I had expected but my last bikes have been sporty affairs. I actually like the better stability. The handlebars are just right and there is a good deal more rake to the steering than I am accustomed to and this feels very safe. The gears are magnificent clicking smoothly up and down and are close enough to be very usable. Of course the road is perfectly level and there is no wind but I really feel as if I could ride this for quite a way. I don't think I'm going to care for the saddle. It's a big soft luxurious looking affair but I don't think I shall find it comfortable. This doesn't matter though as I have my body geometry saddle which I do know suits me perfectly. I suspect one of my first jobs will be to change it. It's now half past 7 and the battery is still charging. I really can't wait to try out the motor. I am very very pleased. This was a big venture and I already know that it's going to be a success.

No comments: