Sunday 27 January 2008

Sun Jan 27 2008

My legs were distinctly rubbery this morning as I went out for a 4 mile potter around. I expect I shall get used to the Wagner (sic) saddle. For small trips around town like this, which after all the bike is probably designed for, it is a very soft cushioning affair. The weather was bright and the wind being brisk and cold didn't matter. Lovely views across the Deben estuary.
After lunch I rode out the other way down to the Orwell estuary. The wind had dropped and it was a perfect bright winter afternoon. I've covered 13 miles today and my legs are not so much rubbery as jellylike. All very pleasant.
There are two small points about the bicycle that are probably worth mentioning. I don't like the switch block on the handlebar. Perhaps my fingers are awkward but certainly when wearing gloves these switches are difficult to operate. A more serious thing that needs to be remembered is that the motor senses the chain tension, as Flecc explains in his analysis of it. This means that when one is stopped at a junction or traffic light one must be sure not to keep ones foot on a raised pedal as the slightest pressure on it means that the motor is fighting the brake. Of course it's perfectly easy to keep the foot on the pedal at the bottom of the travel, but difficult to remember if ones lifetime habit is different.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your comment on resting a foot on the pedal interested me Tony, as the weight of mine doesn't set off the either a Lafree or the Agattu. But then I twigged your weight diffence!
A leg from your 17 stones will be a lot heavier than my leg weight from my 11 stones.
Re: your comment on battery cost earlier. I'm afraid battery cost is the largest part of the cost of e-bike ownership, and many of us would hope to achieve that 50p per charge. E-bikes are nowhere near as cheap to run as we'd wish at present, and it would be possible to run a moped as cheaply. This could change if Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries reach satisfactory price/performance levels.

acgame said...

I'm a little astonished that my Agattu manages to perform as far as I tell in the way that you described in your review, Flecc. 17 stone is ridiculous of course. But riding will hopefully get me down a bit. Says he prayfully!